Painting can be one of the most exciting processes for home remodeling, design and updating. Before you move too quickly to get onto a busy painter’s schedule, these simple questions to ask painters will result in happier walls, trim and ceilings… and a happier you!
1. Ask about the schedule and timing.
- What time of day do you expect them to be in your home each morning and leave by in the afternoon? This is helpful for planning around the kids schedules, your workday and any other home or away from home activities.
- Are they planning to work on other client projects while working on your project? It’s always good to have an idea of the number of days estimated to complete your project. Would there be some delay where another project is attended to and yours is not completed? While this is not ideal, communication about such a possibility is essential so that there’s a clear understanding about the finish date of your project.
- How large is the painting crew? This is important in the case of a large project that could take much longer with just one painter. For some this isn’t a concern as you may prefer the work of just one painter.
2. Ask about the brand and type of paints they will use.
- This is one of the most important questions to ask painters, as it will have a direct impact on the end result. As you’ve probably experienced, there are many different types of paints out there. Besides color, the paint’s sheen, water resistance and durability with pets and children should be considered when selecting the right paint. As part of a paint color consultation, we guide you to the right paint selection with these properties in mind.
- After selecting the right paint for your walls, please discuss with your painter what brand and type of paint they will use. If the brand differs, it may result in vast differences in the appearance and function on your walls. Have a discussion with your painter to ensure they have exactly what you want before they begin painting.
3. Ask if the estimate or bid includes moving and protecting furniture, window treatments and art.
- Consider if you will be replacing items or wish to have them re-installed after the painting is complete. There may be specific items you wish to replace, so discuss which items you want moved to the garage or another location before the bid is agreed to. If items will be re-installed, ensure that they will be covered and protected while the painting is in progress.
4. Ask how they clean up each day and at the end of the project.
- Most always, there is sanding involved in prepping the walls. Vacuuming and some clean-up each day is necessary so the dust is not tracked throughout your home.
- I choose painters who clean up at the end of each workday, so my clients are happy and can live in their homes for the evening.
Over the years, I’ve come up with these four simple questions to ask painters before hiring them. I have found they make the projects move more smoothly for my clients.
If you would like help selecting paint colors for your home, either to prepare for a successful sale of your home or for more enjoyment as you live in your home, please reach out for an in home paint consultation. We bring large painted boards and make the decisions quick and easy!
These are really great tips, thanks for sharing!
Adrienne, I’m so glad you find my tips useful!
Always a good idea to nail down the details before choosing a contractor. Very helpful ideas!
I’m glad you agree and like our helpful ideas! Thank you!